Tuesday, August 16, 2011

"nobody gives a hoot about me and my stupid bat"

Oh, hey. Do you still read this thing? If not, I guess I'll keep going for my own amusement/creative outlet. (If you can call this piece of shit blog "creative".) I like to write, sue me.

So Chase is growing up way too fast. She finally says "Mama" in addition to "Dada" and "Yaaay!" She can also stand up without holding on to anything and she can pull herself up to stand without assistance. She's already 9 months old, it's crazy. She amazes us more and more every day.
In other news, my new job is going well so far, but I haven't really been working much or even really doing anything when I do go to work because I don't meet my students until September. For now, I'm basically just doing odd jobs around the building. I've only worked a total of like, 6 days. I haven't been called in at all this week yet, but we have an open house on Thursday so I may be needed for that. I'm definitely needed on Friday, though, which I'm kind of nervous about...but at the same time, oddly excited. Let me explain. See, this is a brand new elementary school opening up within a learning center/daycare. I believe I touched on this in other entries regarding my new job, but just in case you missed it (you poor bastard), here's the low down. The building is 6 floors. Floors 1 and 2 have classrooms/day care rooms. They provide care to infants 6 weeks and older, and they also have preschool and pre-k rooms. In addition to that, they house Headstart rooms, which are in the building, but under another company. Currently, the 3rd and 5th floors are being renovated. I'm not sure what's up with the 3rd floor right now, I'm assuming maybe offices and/or additional classrooms, but I haven't asked. The 5th floor is for the K-3 school, which is where I will be soon. It's HUGE, and it's going to be beautiful. The K-3 school will operate entirely different from how the 2nd floor operates as it will be an ACTUAL school, and not just a "learning center" which is a fancy word for daycare that sporadically teaches shit to kids. Now that you're all caught up, the school has a curriculum that the teachers (like myself) will be following and teaching to the children. It's called A Beka, and it's basically your run of the mill curriculum guide, only with a Christian twist. It's a private Christian school, hence why the owner has chosen to administer this particular curricula. This, however, has to get the final seal of approval from the PA Department of Education. PDE, for short. So the owner of the school where I will be teaching has selected me to go along with him and this other woman who helped develop the assessment strategies for the school to go before the board in Harrisburg this Friday. The board meeting will be brief, but it's still nerve racking nonetheless. They'll be asking me questions about the materials I plan to implement along with the curriculum, and how these things align with the PA state standards for Kindergarten. This guy from PDE came to the school 2 weeks ago and took some pics of the temporary classrooms and what kinds of learning tools were inside. He then took those pics to the board, so they will be using those pics to ask some questions. I've pretty much been using my time off to "study" the curriculum, standards, and assessment tools, and I think the meeting will go just fine. Luckily, the meetings with the board are in ABC order, which means we're first because my school begins with an "A". Ha, take that other loser schools who have to sit around all day and wait! My boss said he'd buy me and the other lady lunch, so that's a bonus, right? Unless of course the lunch sucks.
So there you have it. That's what's up with me lately...exciting stuff for me, but not for you. Sorry.
Wait, no I'm not. I told you before, if you want something "better" go elsewhere and read someone else's lame shit instead of my lame shit.

P.s. If you don't know what the title quote is from, then you suck and should go look it up. Do it. Then go watch the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment